Downsizing is a time consuming and exhausting process for anyone, but especially for seniors who find themselves with large homes and no longer have children at home to fill up the rooms. There are several reasons seniors want or need to downsize. They could be planning a move to assisted living or are simply moving into a smaller, more manageable home.
Here are some tips for making the task a little less overwhelming:
- Once you’ve found a new location to move to, figure out what you want to take with you that will fit in your new home.
- Ask kids and other family members who would like to have some of the items you don’t want/need.
- If family members do not want the items because of their own space limitations or for other reasons consider donating the items to a charity. Or there are consignment shops in most large cities where items can be sold with a percentage of the cost going to the shop. There are many downsizing companies that are willing to help you find consignment shops and take care of managing that task for you. You can also have unwanted items picked up and auctioned off.
- Paring down items before the move makes the process easier at moving time. It not only saves space but it saves time and money.
- Find movers specializing in senior needs–Moving is stressful for everyone, but some moving companies specialize in making the transition easier for seniors so it is worth the time to fine a ‘mover match’. There are moving companies with senior-friendly services, such as hanging items on the walls for clients unable to do so themselves, handling the change of address and utilities, setting up electronics at a new home, and much more.
I can help connect you with many of these sources. I’m happy to help you make your move a smooth one!
Before starting Senior Home Transitions, Patti went through the same struggle as many families do – finding a safe and comfortable senior home for their elderly loved ones. She strives to help make the process stress-free and easy to understand for both the family and the person needing the assistance. She can help you find the perfect home in the Louisville, KY and Southern Indiana area that fits your needs, budget, and lifestyle.