Assisted living and personal care communities in Louisville are very similar, but have one main difference.
A personal care community has a license that allows a nurse to perform nursing functions. Assisted living is for the senior who wants to maintain a rich and rewarding life, without the responsibilities of running a household.
It is all about getting the care you need while enjoying the quality of life you’ve earned.
Assisted Living Communities
This type of senior living solution is perfect for seniors who primarily need socialization. It is a social model, whereas a personal care facility is a medical model. Basically, it is simply a social home with amenities.
It is a beautiful and stimulating environment with full-time assistance for daily activities along with a full schedule of stimulating social opportunities and activities. Each unique community is a safe and secure environment where seniors can go to live a relatively independent lifestyle but receive support with certain daily activities to make life easier. There are even assisted living benefits available to veterans.
When is it time to consider moving into a senior home?
When your loved one is at risk to themselves in their own home, it might be time to consider an assisted living facility. Often there are telltale signs that something isn’t quite right.
These signs may include:
- Declining attention to personal hygiene
- Unkempt living area or increased clutter
- Forgetting to take medications or taking too much
- Declining mobility
- Unexplained bruises
- Too little food available or food is beyond expiration date
- Neglect of home, pets, or finances
- Reduced ability to communicate
- Social withdrawal, loneliness or depression
- Needing help with daily activities, but not completely relying on help
Feel at Home in Welcoming Atmosphere
Assisted living maintains as much of a home-like atmosphere as possible.
Residents can often share their room with spouses, and are encouraged to bring their own furniture, furnishings, and keepsakes. Some facilities even accept pets.
The goal of any community is to provide a maintenance-free living experience with positive social experiences and an enjoyable daily routine.
How to Discuss Senior Living Options with Your Loved One
Everyone wants to stay in their home throughout the golden years, but the reality of staying in their home might pose a serious danger to your parent’s or grandparent’s health.
Before you approach the subject, do your homework so you have the answers you know your parents will need. Can they bring their own furniture? Will they have a roommate? How far away is the facility?
Be ready with as much information as possible.
An “old folk’s home” doesn’t paint a pretty picture, but today’s assisted living is more like a resort than an institution. Sometimes a tour is all it takes.
If your loved one is resistant to even visiting a facility, simply plant the seed and let the subject be. Don’t push unless it’s an emergency. Check with friends and family to see if any of them live in a similar center nearby that might make the transition easier.
Look for teachable moments to bring it up again and stress all the benefits you see it bringing into their life. Then wait, let it sink in and be patient until your parent is ready to make the decision on their own.
Services and Amenities in Assisted Senior Care Facilities
Each facility still provides help with the activities daily living like bathing, dressing, grooming, and toileting.
However, assisted living is not a licensed medical facility, so they can help with medication reminders, but cannot provide medical assistance. That is usually outsourced to a third-party service.
Other services and amenities vary between facilities, but often include:
- Personal grooming assistance, such as bathing, getting dressed and incontinence management
- Daily fitness, creative, social, learning and spiritual activities
- Group trips and resident-sponsored clubs for a variety of interests
- Medication assistance
- Assistance with transfers in and out of a bed or chair
- 24-hour care on site
- Up to three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily featuring a variety of menu choices with snacks available throughout the day
- Housekeeping, personal laundry and linen service
- Gracious accommodations with a variety of floor plans
- Beautiful and comfortable home-like building and ground
Our FREE Placement Assistance Services
Sometimes it can be hard to choose the right assisted living community. We help you to look at different communities in the Louisville, KY area, strategically compare each one and get the care you need within your budget. We provide our senior realty services at absolutely no charge to you. Give us a call at (502) 396-9228 today!