Senior independent living is what the golden years are all about.
It’s enjoying your independence without bothering with yard work, housekeeping or the unnecessary stress of everyday chores. It’s about socializing with peers, participating activities and special events, sustaining friendships, and enjoying an active lifestyle in a comfortable community.
Active Senior Communities
Independent living is a rewarding experience for seniors with able bodies and minds who still enjoy an active lifestyle. It allows seniors to let go of mundane and draining tasks like taking out the trash, doing the laundry and mowing the lawn and allows them to really enjoy life in a welcoming and friendly community.
Active senior community members have limited supervision, apartment-style housing, and neighbors and friends who are in a similar phase of life.
Senior independent living is about helping everyone feel at home, not like you’ve gone to a home.
With the freedom to live on your own comes the comfort of knowing there is quick medical and personal assistance available in case of emergency. For those who require some support with certain daily activities, an assisted living community may be a better fit.
When is it time to consider moving into a senior home?
Making the decision to move can be challenging, but moving to an active senior community is the start of an inspiring, new chapter in your life with friendships and adventures awaiting your arrival. Deciding when and where to move should be a careful process to find a community you where you are comfortable and happy.
Ask yourself these questions when considering your retirement options:
- Is it becoming more difficult to connect with family/friends? Maybe you don’t feel comfortable driving, or your social network is dwindling. This can lead to feeling isolated or lonely. An active senior community can provide new friendships, activities, and events to enjoy.
- Is maintaining your current home becoming a burden? We know you love your home, but upkeep and maintenance might soon feel overwhelming. Lugging a heavy vacuum, bending over to mop the floor, or climbing stairs can be exhausting. Trade in the work for a residence that takes care of you.
- Have you talked to your doctor? If you have a health condition that may get worse over time, it is important to choose your living options carefully. For chronic conditions or terminal illness, facilities with a more attentive medical staff might be a better option. Senior independent living is ideal for those who are self-sufficient, healthy and need little or no daily assistance.
Financial Requirements of Independent Senior Living
Senior independent living allows residents to trade in household chores for a resort-like lifestyle full of service and amenities they can enjoy. Surprisingly, this can be a very affordable option for many seniors. When determining your budget, begin by adding up all of your monthly expenses including:
- Your current mortgage/rent
- Current food budget
- Monthly utilities
- Transportation expenses (car, gas, etc.)
- Property tax
- Home maintenance
- Gym membership
When you choose an active senior community, all of these expenses are combined into one monthly payment. You’re no longer responsible for maintenance, repairs, or updates to your home.
If a fixture in your bathroom starts leaking, you don’t have to stress over finding a professional to repair it or wonder what the repair cost is going to be. With senior living, all of this is handled for you.
Weekly grocery trips are replaced with restaurant-quality dining provided for you. Even your vehicle expenses can be traded for transportation services that can take you to and from your favorite local spots, doctor’s appointments, and errands.
There are a wide range of senior living options in the Louisville, KY area depending on the services that are most important to you. We can help find the perfect community to fit your needs and your budget.
Services and Amenities for Retirement Living Communities
An active senior community includes residential accommodations in a campus or apartment or patio home setting. The main purpose of senior independent living is to give you an active, engaging and carefree lifestyle.
Common services may include:
- Registered dietician, special diets & three meals daily
- Ancillary health services—visiting podiatrist, dentist & ophthalmologist
- Transportation secured for medical appointments
- Scheduled social activities determined by client preferences
- Bed/bath linens
- Beauty and barber services
- 3 meals per day and snacks made available
- Evening security
- Gardens, landscaping and walking paths.
- Daily activities (on-site or off)
- Fitness center
Our FREE Placement Assistance Services
We work within a broad network of senior communities in and around Louisville to find the options that work best for you. Each client has unique personal preferences that are important to them, like senior independent living. Do not let your age hold you back from living life to the fullest.
We work with you to find a community that is the perfect fit at no additional cost to you. Our services are 100% free of charge and are designed to help you live your best life in a place you can call home.